History of Ohnward Bank & Trust
1903 | Baldwin Savings Bank opens for business
1992 | Ohnward Bancshares Inc. purchases controlling interest of Baldwin Savings Bank
Renamed Tri-County Bank & Trust
1995 | First ATM installed in Cascade
1999 | Abe Tubbs becomes President and CEO
2003 | First Iowa Bank acquisition
2006 | Ohnward Bancshares Inc. purchases controlling interest of United Security Savings Bank
2009 | Ohnward merged with Tri-County Bank & Trust, name was changed to Ohnward Bank & Trust
Ohnward Bank & Trust’s history began as Baldwin Savings Bank. As with First Central State Bank, the idea of forming a local bank named the Baldwin Savings Bank was started by a group of local businessmen. In November 1902, 27 stockholders bought 100 shares of stock at $100 per share. The bank opened for business in 1903.
The original Board of Directors included:
C.K. Berg of Davenport
Geo. W. Tabor of Monmouth
Chas. B. Tozer of Baldwin
Frank Lubben of Baldwin
R.W. Brown of Baldwin
The initial officers were:
President – Geo. W. Tabor
Vice President – R.W. Brown
Cashier – C.K. Berg
C.A. Harding, better known as Charlie, worked for the bank for 57 years — from 1916 to 1973 — as Assistant Cashier, Cashier, and a board member. He was instrumental in the success of Baldwin Savings Bank and the lives of Baldwin residents.
Through the years, Baldwin Savings Bank was one of only two banks in Jackson County that survived the bank closings during the Depression of the 1930s.
Ohnward Bancshares Inc. purchased controlling interest of Baldwin Savings Bank on February 25, 1992. At that time, total assets were approximately $14.9 million and equity capital was approximately $1.58 million. In 1994, the bank’s charter was moved to Cascade.
Since the bank now served customers of multiple counties, the name Tri-County Bank & Trust was selected. The bank installed its first ATM machine in Cascade in 1995, followed by Internet Banking in 2000.
Abe Tubbs joined the Ohnward organization in 1998, becoming President and CEO in 1999. Abe continues to serve as CEO along with his other duties as President and CFO of First Central State Bank and his work at the Ohnward holding company level.
January 17, 2003 saw the addition of First Iowa Bank to the Tri-County Bank & Trust family. At the time of purchase, First Iowa Bank had $20 million in assets. This bank was immediately merged into Tri-County Bank & Trust at the time of purchase.
In 2006, Ohnward Bancshares purchased United Security Savings Bank with offices in Marion and Cedar Rapids. USSB was a Savings & Loan Association owned by Carl Schuettpelz.
In 2006, Schuettpelz and Ohnward reached agreement for the transfer of ownership to Ohnward Bancshares. Ohnward merged with Tri-County Bank & Trust and the name was changed to Ohnward Bank & Trust. Ohnward offices retain a complete recorded history of USSB and of the names of those involved in its formation and early management.
Ohnward Bank & Trust currently operates with six locations and has become a significant player in the Cascade, Monticello, Central City, Marion, and Cedar Rapids markets, while continuing to serve its original mission in Baldwin. The original Baldwin Savings Bank charter remains as the original charter of OBT. The bank emphasizes the building of personal relationships with its clients and volunteerism within the communities it serves.
Ohnward Bancshares, Inc.
Today Ohnward is a billion-dollar plus holding company with 18 financial offices in Eastern Iowa including Maquoketa State Bank with offices in Maquoketa, Andrew, and Preston; Ohnward Bank & Trust with offices in Baldwin, Cascade, Monticello, Marion, Central City and Cedar Rapids; First Central State Bank with offices in DeWitt, LeClaire, Clinton, Goose Lake and Eldridge. Trust services are offered through all banking offices under the Ohnward banner, which includes Ohnward Insurance Group, Central Realty, Ohnward Financial Advisor Services, Ohnward Farm Management, Ohnward Tax, Accounting and Business Services, Vosler Investment Group and Ohnward Wealth & Retirement.
Ohnward Bancshares, Inc., has assets of $1.4 Billion, capital of $180 Million and employs over 260 full and part time employees. Ohnward is locally owned by shareholders living primarily in Jackson, Clinton, Scott, Jones, and Linn Counties. Bank management’s focus continues to be helping clients and communities grow and prosper. The banks and ancillary businesses have a strong record of community and economic development, and educational and cultural support within the markets they serve.